What is an e-invoice?
E-invoicing or electronic invoicing is a method of sending an invoice to your customer’s invoice processing system, without any manual processing in between. So, unlike when you send your customer an invoice by email, there is no manual processing required - the customer only has to choose whether to pay the invoice or not and the rest is handled automatically. At Zervant we use Basware as our partner for delivering invoices to the right recipients.
Why should I send e-invoices?
E-invoicing helps your customers pay your invoices faster and more efficiently, as they are received immediately by their invoice processing system when you send it (as opposed to an invoice sent in the post which can take several days). Also, large companies usually handle their invoices in one software in order to improve efficiency. Many are now adopting e-invoicing for precisely this reason. E-invoicing saves costs (e.g., paper, printing and storage) when compared with more traditional methods which makes it also eco-friendly!
You can learn more about e-invoicing from our video.
How much does this cost?
E-invoicing in Zervant is included as part our Zervant Premium plans. Therefore, there are no costs for your customer when using this service.
Necessary information for sending e-invoices
E-invoices are sent using sender’s and recipient’s e-invoicing addresses. This works basically the same way mobile phones work - everyone needs to have a phone number that identifies both, the caller and the callee. To send an e-invoice, you need to include:
1. Your own company contact information: you need to have either a company registration number or VAT number to send e-invoices.
2. Your customer's information:
- Make sure your customer can receive e-invoices
- Check that the e-invoicing address of your customer is correct and in the right format
- Check the e-invoicing provider your customer is using (optional, Finland only). Zervant uses Basware as an e-invoicing provider. You can find a list of operators that are compatible our partner here
3. The required fields/references your customer wants you to fill in for their invoice: For instance, this could include the PO (purchase order) number, payment reference or the buyer's reference. You can add these in your invoicing >Settings under >Visible references.
Remember to check that you have sufficient e-invoicing/postal deliveries left, as included in your Premium plan quota. Please note that any test invoices, sent by post or as an e-invoice, will count also. You can check your remaining deliveries in the overview of your plan >My Account >My Plan and upgrade your plan if you need to send more e-invoices: