Zervant uses a semi-automated sequential numbering system. It ensures that all your invoices are assigned a legally-compliant invoice number, avoid duplicate invoice numbers while allowing you to flexibly change your invoice numbering sequence if needed.
Once set, Zervant automatically assigns a sequential invoice number which applies to both invoices and credit notes.
Your first invoice number prefix is automatically set as TEST
When you create your first invoice, the invoice number will be "TEST-1" ("TEST" = prefix; 1 = invoice number). This allows you to identify all test invoices when trying out to create invoices for the first time. You have to change the prefix yourself once you are ready to start invoicing your customers.
Here is how to change your invoice number prefix.
Setting up your invoice number
When you start creating invoices for your customers, you can set up the invoice numbering by creating a new invoice and clicking on >Change (next to Invoice number).
This opens the invoice numbering menu:
Here, you can set up your first invoice number. If you wish, you can add a new prefix to your invoice number (e.g., 2020). This automatically creates a hyphenated invoice number (e.g., 2020-1). Once set, the invoice number continues sequentially with each newly approved invoice (e.g., 2020-2; 2020-3; etc.). Your invoice number does not need to start with one (1) - when setting up a new invoice number and prefix, you can set any number you like (e.g., 2020-101; 2020-123; 2020-999; etc.).
Once you have set your invoice number and approved your invoice, the numbering sequence CANNOT BE EDITED. This also applies to invoice numbers without a prefix ('no prefix' acts as set prefix).
However, you can edit the prefix to create a new hyphenated invoice number (e.g., 1234-1). All previously used prefixes (e.g., "2020-" or "1234-") and their invoice numbering sequences of your invoices are automatically saved by Zervant and can be re-selected for your invoices.
- Any approved TEST invoices will also show in your Zervant Reports. Either issue credit notes or "delete" those invoices (>More >Delete) to void them.
- The actual invoice number will only be allocated once you approve an invoice. Each invoice number can be used only once.
- A draft invoice will always use the next possible invoice number as a placeholder meaning that multiple drafts can display the same invoice number.
- The prefix and invoice number fields can not include special characters ('-/.,').
- Your estimate number can be chosen freely (but no letters or special characters). If you create an invoice from an estimate, the invoice will be automatically assigned the next invoice number from your invoice numbering sequence.
- If you delete an invoice, you cannot reuse the same invoice number
- If you set your prefix to match the current year (e.g., 2020), it will NOT change automatically at the end of the year. You need to manually edit the prefix at the start of each financial year (e.g., 2022).
- If you use recurring invoice profiles, you need to change their invoice number sequence separately. Here are the instructions on How to change the invoice number sequence on recurring invoices?